Arsenal’s heavily criticized left-back Andre Santos left for Gremio on loan for the rest of the season, after he ‘apparently’ did not have a good start at Arsenal this season. Santos was used in Gibbs’ position after the latter picked up an injury last month. However, when Santos failed to impress Wenger, he quickly signed Nacho Monreal in the January transfer window.
Here are a few stats revealed by hereisthecity.com:
· Andre Santos ranks as the fifth best successful tackler in the squad just below Nacho Monreal. He has made 2.4 successful tackles this season. The highest amount of successful tackles made by an Arsenal player this season is 3.5 by Mikel Arteta.
Better than: Carl Jenkinson, Jack Wilshere, Thomas Vermaelen, Laurent Koscienly, Abou Diaby and Francis Coquelin.
· He is also fifth best in his squad for interceptions, and Nacho Monreal is better than him at this. He can successfully complete two intersections per game. Gibbs ranks the highest in the club on account of interceptions as can make 3.2 interceptions per game.
Better than: Bacary Sagna, Jack Wilshere, Koscielny, Vermaelen and Mertesacker.
· Santos averagely wins 0.6 offsides per game, fifth best in the team.
Better than: Bacary Sagna and Carl Jenkinson.
· Surprisingly, Santos is in the top four passers in the club with an average rate of completing 89% passes per game.
The only players that are better than him at this are Nacho Monreal, Per Mertesacker and Mikel Arteta
· Though this is an unwanted stats, but Santos has been dribbled around the most (1.5) in the club ranks. However, up-front, he is the 18th most successful dribbler in the North Londoners’ squad.
Considering all these stats, it is clear that Santos was not a very bad player. However, the signing of Nacho Monreal is justified in all terms as the defender is better than him at almost everything.
Compiled by Rida Mehtab (@RidaaMehtaab on Twitter).